Thursday, November 26, 2009

i'm so thanks to God...

as i approached "american thanksgiving" this week, i anticipated sadness and homesickness coming into the holiday season without my family. today, however, has been nothing less than an incredibly blessed day surrounded by wonderful people and in the presence of a mighty and giving God.


i just returned from an amazing and actually american thanksgiving meal at the home of another "permanent" foreign teacher (who has lived in korea for awhile and has the nicest apartment of anyone i've seen here). first instance of actual american food and the works for thanksgiving - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggies, salad, rolls, gravy, cranberries, pumpkin pie, sparkling apple cider!...i wasn't expecting it at all, and in the company of about fifteen of my wonderful co-workers, it was a great way to spend the holiday.

[it was, however, missing lefse. there's no way it can be thanksgiving if there is no lefse :) ]

i haven't posted for awhile, so there is small gap in my existence here, but that's okay. today's post is all about giving thanks to the God that has brought me here. i definitely miss all of you at home (and abroad!) that i haven't seen in at least two months, sixteen days, and however many hours, and that makes it difficult at times. but God is good (can i get an amen?!?) and He has greater things in mind. hence, in honor of Konglish, the mix of korean and english that most students and even korean adults speak, here is a little list of what has been bouncing around in my head and prayers today as i thought of what "i am so thanks to God" for:

- His continual provision, in every little thing
- the fullness of joy in Christ
- giving me strength and growing me in wisdom everyday
- my family back home and their love and support and prayers (i wish i could celebrate with you!)
- my friends back home (and scattered about the world) and their faithfulness (have an amazing holiday with your family or your "family" wherever you are!!)
- my students and their beautiful smiling faces everyday when i walk into the classroom
- the other teachers and their servants' hearts
- the opportunity to learn from my brothers and sisters in Korea
- Rick Steves, for taking my geography students to Europe via YouTube :)
- grass. lovely, lovely grass (oh how i miss thee)
- clean air
- laughing everyday when a korean will inevitably say to me, "aren't you cold?"
- playing frisbee (really just tossing a disc) after school or during lunch break with students
- quail eggs, eggplant, and sweet potatoes
- christmas lights and christmas music
- getting lost in translation
- beauty in His creation
- stomach-aching laughter when Thomas told me i have a "whoa" bicep muscle (i don't remember what i was talking about, but i somehow flexed said "muscle" in making a gesture when teaching today)
- hugs and high-fives from students
- the opportunity to bless and serve others
- you, because you took the time to read all of this! i'm impressed :)

happy thanksgiving!!!
may the lord bless you and keep you, His face shine upon you, and give you peace forever. amen.

3 comments:

  1. Kari!!!!
    I am so thankful for you, friend. And I am so proud of you for being in Korea!! Way to go!
    Miss you, love you, praying for you.
    Love love love!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for a daughter who has done something incredibly brave in venturing off to another land to serve in ways she could not imagine...
    i am glad for your thankfulness and that you are sensitive to the hand of God in your life.
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karig!
    I'm glad you had a good day!!! I'm so thankful for you, you have encouraged me in so many ways you probably don't even realize, even just simple things like saying you want to see Andorra because it'd be beautiful, because it makes me look up and remember that it is! I miss you!
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete