Sunday, July 18, 2010

the final frontier...

all three textbooks read thoroughly and taught, well, somewhat thoroughly. check.

geography students' final review jeopardy game, with prizes of course. check.

finals written, taken, and graded. check.

[best quote on the end of a final essay: "Thank You!! I love you. I will miss you!, but I can’t say love you, because I’m so precious. I didn’t say, your not precious. I’m more precious than you. Ha! Ha!”]

report card grades and comments. almost.

so it must be summertime in korea, right?

well...

the day after finals, the teachers were instructed to teach the students.

teach the students.

the day after finals.

really?

the day after finals, only half of the students show up.

the day after finals, the students don't care to learn a thing.

i improvised. my 9-1 class discussed some ethical dilemmas (my philosophy degree finally getting some use).

my other classes, we mostly took photos and talked. but hey, they were practicing English.

i got reprimanded (during class, in korean so the students had to translate ha) for not teaching a lesson.

honestly i wouldnt have done anything differently. the students spoke more english than they usually do in class. but korean schools...man there's a logic screw loose in there somewhere...

ah well. on to graduation.

"oh, and by the way (if today is thursday), you are presiding at the graduation ceremony tomorrow. (in korean) please make yourself pretty."

oh boy.

kics graduated 12 seniors. i've never seen a graduation like it. each student gave a short testimony. each received a "special award". they gave a musical performance. it was special. it was nice to have some real closure to the year. lots of photos. some tears.

oh, and did i mention the students (except seniors) are supposed to come to school next week?

now THAT is class time well spent :)
oh and LOTS more photos HERE

its beginning #1 and #2: although i have a month left (thats right, i get to come home a bit early - August 24th! i can't wait to see you!) because the real school year is over, i have started saying goodbye. its so hard.

this is what monsoon season means to me #72: sitting in my twenty-seven degree Celsius room with the window open (no a/c) and i'm getting hit by rain.

but the good news is, i have killed more than 75 mosquitoes in the last month. the bad news is that ALL of them managed to get into my room in the first place despite the outlet mosquito repellent.

next week - barcelona and andorra with kelsey! :)

after that - one month of summer camp :(

then - one day conference, two days packing, HOME. :)

live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God. - jim elliot

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kari,

    I can't beleive it has been almost a year, yet it feels like the longest year of my life for sure. My heart aches for you as I remember what it was like to leave Uganda after making it my home.... I ache for you in knowing a little bit of how hard it is to leave a place that was so different from life before, and so different from what life will be after. I will be praying for you as you get ready to leave, and praying for you when you come home, too.

    Love you so so much :)

    ReplyDelete