Wednesday, October 28, 2009

back in the swing...

...the old routine! see new pictures here!

it was nice to have a "week off" for midterms, meaning a week off of teaching, but of course i still had to make tests and do various other things (mostly help my students study!). its also nice to be teaching again! i was so proud of my students though...their test grades went way up on the midterm! i even had them write essay questions in english, but they worked really hard and did really well. woohoooooo!!!

this week in geography we are talking about language and culture - or what I see as an opportunity to teach them the finer things in life, like Sigur Rós, among other things :). i also showed a video about a click language and multilanguage Disney music videos...



american government provided me the opportunity to show a schoolhouse rock video about the declaration of independence...



i have to show the videos from my laptop, but its better than nothing and boy! i have never seen my students so quiet and concentrated...!

so classes have been good, although the students are having a hard time adjusting after last week. the midterm schedule was such that they had two tests a day, first and third period, and then self-study for the other four classes a day...you can imagine what chaos ensued during that time. but they're great and a blessing every single day...not to mention surprising!

friday night was refreshing. we went out to a buffet to celebrate two birthdays with a group of 8 or so people. they were the "younger" teacher crowd for the most part, including some teachers from last year. its hard to explain, but that time was really edifying for me, being in fellowship and getting to know some really fantastic people, talking about anything and everything. i needed it. i made a new friend (female and close to my age!) that i got along with really well, even after just a few hours. sunny's mom (in pink) also came and although she doesn't speak much english, she was generous enough to pay for our whole meal because she enjoyed being a part of our joyful evening. altogether, i was blown away by these people (see below). i love being around people who give me an even greater desire to know Jesus and that is exactly what this night was like for me. hallelujah, indeed.




saturday, sunday, and monday before school and between classes, i graded midterms. i finished with two minutes to spare and every student got their midterm back (after having taken it on friday) yessssssssssss. now i have to input grades and make midterm report card comments! its weird to be on the "other side" of this process!

oh and by the way, this is my modeling career, beginning and end (also seen in life-size at the expo last week). oh boy. why??? (notice the "walt disney" font!)

oh boy! it is wednesday. i should sleep.

i miss you all. thanks for your continual prayer for the students here, their families, and the other teachers. its a long road ahead!

2 comments:

  1. School House Rock! Yes!!!
    I'm glad you found some females your age to talk to, sounds like a blessing :)
    Also, thanks for your support for our radio show even though you aren't here to listen to it, we all appreciate very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess kids of all ages like School House Rock - I show them to my 5th graders and they love them, too! Yes, you are amazing to get mid-terms back so quickly. I'm not going to tell my students how quick your paper turn-around time is - they'll start expecting it! So glad to hear you found someone your own age to relate to - yeah! I think you should bring that banner home with you when you come. I can hardly wait to skype - "see" you soon! XOX

    ReplyDelete